Saturday, August 27, 2011

Plum Pickled out!

Actually, I am not. I still have carrots to go, mmmmm... maybe some more beets too if my lovely mom in law can spare some more, pleaaaassssseeee. he he. Fall is coming on us fast, and fall brings canning. Nothing like homemade preserves and my two favorites, pickled beets and carrots.


I packaged them up nice and pretty just for you, to see in the photo I mean silly. I actually made that little scrap of gingham on the top of the sealer and I am going to show you how shortly when I do my Fabulously Fun Stuff to play with post. I am going to do occasional product highlights  to show you some of the products I use and why I love em! Always nice to find new artsy things to play with.

For now though, thought I would share my mom's pickled beets recipe with you since they are my fave and may one day be yours too and believe me, I have tried lots of pickled beets!

Bubba Helen's Pickled Beets

Start with fresh beets WITH THE STEMS ON! Cut off the stems making sure to leave a 2 inch tail! Ever had pink pickled beets? That is because the tail wasn't left on and when you boil them for about 45 mins to get the skins off and cook the beets they bleed out.

Sterilize your jars (boil them or I use the dishwasher and the sanitize setting) and place them on a clean towel with boiling water in them (I do this to keep them hot, hot beets in a cold jar is not great).

Take the cooked beets to the sink,and pour out the hot water and run cold over them to shock the skins off. You then go in with your hands and rub the skins off, they peel so easy. They will still be hot inside the beets so be careful, and put them in a bowl. 

Meanwhile make your brine:
this recipe makes 3 quarts, just double, triple for more.

2 c vinegar
2 c sugar
1 tbs pickling or course salt
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tbs WHOLE cloves wrapped in cheesecloth and elastic.

Boil for 5 mins, discard cloves, turn on low to keep warm.

Put your lids in a pot to boil for 5 mins then just keep them warm.


Empty one jar at a time, cut the beets to bite size pieces and fill the jars to 1/2" from the top. Add the brine to 1/4 " from the top, make sure the top of the jar is clean for a good seal. Put a lid on, then the screw top and wipe and set aside for the lid to POP! If it doesn't pop or cave in then you will have to boil it for 5 or 10 mins to seal it or it will spoil.

Stay tuned for the fabric demo!!

xo
the fairy

No comments: